FUTUREGEN SITE TO BE ANNOUNCED TODAY
The final site decision for FutureGen, a power plant designed to be the cleanest fossil fuel-fired plant in the world, is set for today. The final four remaining sites include two from Texas and two from Illinois in Mattoon and Tuscola. FutureGen’s impact on Illinois’ economic development would be significant, creating hundreds of jobs.
POWER OUTAGE SAFETY TIPS
Ice from winter storms can cause widespread power outages, and the damages could take several days to repair. Follow a few tips to stay safe and warm.
- If you must go outside, stay away from downed or hanging power lines, warn others to stay away, and be aware that limbs and other debris may be hiding electrical hazards.
- Stay inside and dress in warm, layered clothing.
- Close off unneeded rooms, stuff towels underneath doors to keep the heat inside, and cover windows at night.
- When using alternative heat sources, follow operating instructions, use fire safeguards, and be sure to properly ventilate.
- Eat so your body will create its own heat and drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Turn off electrical appliances and unplug major equipment including computers and televisions.
- If you use a standby generator, make sure it has a transfer safety switch or that the power is cut off at the breaker box before operating it. And always keep a generator outside in a dry, protected area away from windows or air intakes.
TUNE INTO WGEL FOR
WHO’S MINDING THE CHRISTMAS STORE
Tune in all this week for your chance to play "Who’s Minding the Christmas store". When you hear your favorite DJ open up the game call WGEL Radio. If you’re the correct caller you get to play live on the air, and if you choose the right store you’ll win the prize. It’s Holiday fun with "Who’s Minding the Christmas Store" on WGEL Radio.