SMITHBORO VILLAGE BOARD MEETING
At the Smithboro Village board meeting Monday night, the board denied a request by the homecoming committee to close Main Street for homecoming, June 9th. The board said the lateness of the request, IDOT considerations and liability problems were all reasons for their decision. Smithboro will be getting new signs; sixteen stop signs, 4 speed limit signs and 3 Children at Play signs will be installed. Mayor Susan Moore will continue to pursue the Weather Siren installation and back up generator plan and should have more information on that project at the next meeting.
SHIMKUS TO HOLD OFFICE HOURS IN GREENVILLE
Congressman John Shimkus will hold open office hours in Bond County on Saturday, June 9. Shimkus will be available to meet with local residents from 10-11:30am at the First Bank Conference Room, 200 West Main Street, Greenville. Shimkus commented that these open office hours provide an opportunity for constituents to meet with him personally. His office deals with government issues such as Social Security, Medicare, IRS, VA, the military, housing, agriculture and many more.
Those who are having a problem with one of those federal agencies are encouraged to meet with a member of the Shimkus staff. Residents can also express their opinion on pending legislation and get information on how to purchase Flags that have been flown over the U.S. Capitol. Those interested in meeting with Shimkus on Saturday should call 618-344-3065 to make an appointment.
OUTDOOR GRILLING TIPS FOR SUMMER
The warm weather is here and people are making plans to enjoy outdoor activities throughout the summer. To help people enjoy a safe summer, the State Fire Marshal's Office is trying to increase awareness of fire safety tips when it comes to outdoor grilling.
Don't place the grill to close to your home or close to combustible materials. Keep children and pets away from the grill area. Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in the trays below the grill. For charcoal grills, after applying lighter fluid to coals, wait a minute before igniting. Hot coals should always be disposed of in designated containers, using plenty of water to cool the coals.
For gas grills, check the cylinder hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. A light soap and water solution applied to the hose, will quickly reveal propane leaks by releasing bubbles. Always shut off the valve when not in use, and never store propane gas cylinders in buildings or garages. According to the National Fire Protection Association, gas-fueled and charcoal grills are involved in nearly 1,000 residential structure and home outdoor fires each year.