After nearly 25 years of spending a couple of dollars every weekday on the lottery, one local man finally had his big pay-off. Pete and Sharon Peterson talked about their Little Lotto win on Friday. Pete said he didn’t check the numbers on Friday, but decided to when he read that there were two winners in Sunday’s paper. He said when he realized that he had matched all five numbers, he almost fell out of his chair. Sharon said she didn’t believe it at first and was shocked.

Pete says that he bought the $190,000 winning ticket at CC Food Mart in Greenville. After taxes, the Peterson's should get around $130,000. Pete said that there were two winners for Friday, as the actual jackpot was $380,000. Sharon said that they might do some touch-ups to their house, or some of the money might go toward a new car. This is the second time in six months that a local couple has won more than $100,000 from the Illinois Lottery.


In an update to a story previously reported on WGEL, Sunday afternoon around 3:23PM, Shoal Creek, Greenville and Pocahontas-Old Ripley Fire Departments responded to a report of hay bales on fire on Prairie Lane. WGEL spoke with Shoal Creek Fire Chief Eric Earnest, who said that there were around 125 bales that burned during the afternoon. He said that due to the high temperatures on Sunday, the green hay spontaneously combusted and caught fire.

Nearly 35 firefighters were on scene for seven hours containing the fire to ½ an acre. Haller excavating and Slatton Excavating brought track-hoes to the scene to break up the hay bales. Tri-County Petroleum delivered fuel to the tanker trucks that had been on Prairie Lane for most of the day. Earnest said that neighbors and department volunteers continued to bring drinking water for the firefighters throughout the afternoon and into the evening. Bond County EMS and Pocahontas Ambulance responded to the fire, as well, for precautionary measures for the firefighters.

By the time the fire was extinguished, three firefighters had been taken to Greenville Regional Hospital for heat exhaustion. Earnest said that they were all treated and released.


A Sorento woman died after being involved in a car accident Sunday afternoon in Alton, around 4:46PM. According to the police report, 75 year-old Wanda "Myrle" Cruthis was driving a 2005 Chevy Malibu southwest on Fosterburg Road when her vehicle veered off the left side of the roadway, drove through an embankment and hit the laundry building of the Alton Mental Health Center. Cruthis was taken to Alton Memorial Hospital and then transferred to Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. She passed away early Monday morning.

According to the St. Louis Medical Examiner, it's not been determined yet if a brain aneurysm was the cause of the accident. Cruthis was wearing her seatbelt. WGEL will have funeral arrangements for Wanda "Myrle" Cruthis when they become available.


With the temperatures getting warmer throughout the area, Maxine Barth, Director of the Bond County Health Department, offered some tips on how to stay cool and safe in the rising heat. Limit outdoor activities by planning for the coolest time of day…before noon and in the evening. Drink plenty of caffeine and alcohol free fluids. If you are on a special fluid-restricted diet or if you take diuretics, ask your physician about your fluid intake during hot weather. Wear light colored, loose fitting clothing outdoors and make sure to use sunscreen. Never leave children, the elderly or pets in a parked car…even for a few minutes. The air temperature inside a car rises rapidly during the hot weather.

Barth advises these are steps to take to try and avoid heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Symptoms of heat exhaustion can include dizziness, headache, nausea and clammy skin. Persons showing these signs should move to a cooler location, loosen clothing and drink fluids. Symptoms of heat stroke are a body temperature over 103°F, red-hot and dry skin, rapid pulse, throbbing headache, confusion and unconsciousness. If you, or someone you know, show these signs, seek medical attention immediately.


Around 2:09PM Monday afternoon, the Greenville Fire Department responded to a report of a broken gas line at 309 S. Elm Street. Workers were tearing down an old house, when a portion of it fell on a gas line and broke it. Residents in the surrounding area were evacuated, while firefighters and EMS stood by for precautionary measures while the rubble was removed from the gas line and it was repaired. Firefighters were on scene for nearly an hour. Residents, who were evacuated from the area, have been allowed to return to their homes.



Every Friday, WGEL will spin the wheel of meat for one lucky listener. At 6:45 each Friday morning we will randomly pick a name from our Friday Cash Call Registration Book, and that listener will have 9 minutes to call us here at WGEL. After those nine minutes, if that person has not called, we will open up the WGEL phone lines and give everyone a chance to play. If you want to get registered in our Friday cash call book, just visit any WGEL live remote and sign up. You can also stop in at the radio station to sign up.



Myrle Cruthis, age 75, of Sorento, passed away Monday at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. Funeral arrangements for 75 year-old Myrle Cruthis are incomplete at this time at the Perfetti Funeral Home in Sorento.


Victor Vollintine, age 91, of Litchfield, passed away Sunday, at St. Francis Hospital in Litchfield. Funeral services for 75 year-old Victor Vollintine will be Thursday, at 10:30 am at the Walshville Baptist Church in Walshville. Burial will follow at Sunnyside Cemetery in Sorento. Friends may call Wednesday, from 5:00 - 8:00 PM at the Perfetti Funeral Home in Sorento.

Do you subscribe to the WGEL Daily? If not sign up now for free daily News!

- WGEL Daily Sign Up -
First Name
Last Name

Wgel.com | Community Calendar | Daily Archive