7-31-2008

bb

MISSING ALTON WOMAN FOUND AFTER MASSIVE SEARCH.

 

 

An 86 year-old Alton woman, missing for nine hours, was found Tuesday afternoon. According to Lt. David Hayes, with the Alton Police Department, the woman had wandered from her home and fallen into a ditch.   To locate her, a search grid was used, that involved 45 to 50 law enforcement officers in a foot search.  Luckily she sustained only minor scrapes and dehydration, and is expected to make a full recovery.


6 YEAR-OLD  DEATH RULED A VIRAL INFECTION

 

The death of a 6 year-old boy from Edwardsville has been ruled natural. Madison County Coroner Stephen Nonn reports that 6 year-old Evan Allen died from an apparent viral syndrome. The office issued a statement that although the child died of a viral infection, this does not represent a public health threat.

 

 

 


rr

HOUSE FIRE ON VULLIET ROAD NEAR HIGHLAND

 

Highland-Pierron firemen were paged Monday, at 2:13 am, to a report of a home on fire on Vulliet Road.  According to Fire Chief Steve Plocher, lightning was the probable cause, as the fire originated in the roof of the Scott Wellen home.  Working smoke detectors were installed, but as the fire started in the roof, the smoke did not set off the sensors until the fire began burning through the ceiling. The roof had already collapsed before firemen arrived.  Close thunder awakened the family and a little later Scott's wife noticed light reflecting on the yard.  All the family escaped without injury, but the home was a total loss.  Firemen extinguished the fire and were on scene for about 10 hours, waiting for the state fire marshal to arrive.  St. Rose Fire District firemen provided mutual aid with tanker trucks.


PORTABLE GENERATORS POSE RISK IF NOT USED PROPERLY

 

Following a recent house fire, caused by the improper use of a gas fueled generator, State Fire Marshal David B. Foreman reminds you of the dangers associated with generators. Generators can pose fire risks and also give off toxic carbon monoxide gas if not vented properly. Here are some tips to help keep you safe when using generators.

 

Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home and test them at least once a month.

 

Operate generators outdoors away from doors, windows, and vent openings, so exhaust fumes cannot enter your home.

 

Turn off the generator and let it cool down before refueling.

 

Plug appliances directly into the generator or use a heavy-duty outdoor-rated extension cord.

 

Have fuel-burning equipment inspected by a professional every year.


KASKASKIA COLLEGE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETS

 

At the last Kaskaskia College Board of Trustees Meeting, a cooperative agreement with Odin High School was approved to participate in the College Now Program, allowing students to earn college credits while still in high school. 

 

A TV Field/Studio Production program is being proposed allowing students to gain experience with equipment used in studio and on-location television productions.

 

The Board approved the design and authorization to proceed with bids for renovations at the new Greenville Education Center, at 208 N. Third Street in Greenville.

 

A bid was approved for renovations at the new Salem Education Center at 1437 W. Whittaker in Salem.

 

The Board presented an "Award of Excellence" to the KC Scholar Bowl Team and advisors Sandra Cox and Brian Cambron, and recognized Mike Hoyt for this service to the College.


OBITUARIES

NO NEW AREA FUNERAL NOTICES TO REPORT


Do you subscribe to the WGEL Daily? If not sign up now for free daily News!

- WGEL Daily Sign Up -
Email
First Name
Last Name

Wgel.com | Community Calendar | Daily Archive