01-20-2009

GRHK

SEVERAL ACCIDENTS SUNDAY NIGHT DUE TO SLICK ROADS

 

Slick roads Sunday evening caused several accidents around Bond County and on I-70. 

 

Greenville firemen were called twice Sunday night to accidents on I-70.  The first accident occurred shortly after 5:00 PM at the 46 mile-marker.  Firemen assisted in extricating one person from the vehicle.  Their second call came before firemen were finished with the first accident.  It was just about 2 ½ miles down the interstate.  Pocahontas-Old Ripley Ambulance and Bond County EMS were also dispatched to the second accident.  Illinois State Police worked these accidents. 

 

Bond County Officers responded to three accidents Sunday evening and night.  The first occurred on Timberline Road south of Sorento, the second in Hillcrest Farms in rural Pocahontas, and the third on Old national Trail.  No injuries were reported from any of these accidents.


FIRE MARSHAL DESCRIBES THE SILENT KILLER

 

Illinois State Fire Marshal David Forman explained the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning. He described the silent killer as an odorless, tasteless and invisible gas that can kill. Carbon monoxide sickness produces flu-like symptoms, but if someone gets away from the gas quickly and is given oxygen, they could make a full recovery. Foreman urges homeowners to check batteries in carbon monoxide detectors and reminds Illinois residents that it is a state law to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.


KINGSBURY PARK DISTRICT DISCUSSES CLOSING THE PARK POOL

 

At the most recent Kingsbury Park District Board meeting, the big discussion was the future of the pool. It was reported that attendance was down by almost one thousand people, with a deficit of almost thirty thousand dollars. A major decision will be to either close the pool or update and add some new features to increase attendance. Jerry Sauerwein said the updates would cost a considerable amount of money but would be worth it if it brought the attendance back up. The board would like to hear from the community regarding what should be done with the pool.

 

Flag football registration forms are now available and can be picked up at the park office.


BURNING TRASH CAUSES GRASS FIRE IN ROYAL LAKE

 

Smithboro Firemen were paged to a report of a field fire Saturday afternoon, January 17, on Nebraska Street in Royal Lake.  According to Fire Chief Dale Deverick, a resident was burning some trash when the wind blew burning materials into a vacant lot igniting some grass.  The fire spread to a neighbor's yard and threatened a home.  Firemen were on the scene for at least an hour and extinguished the blaze with minimal damage. 


LOCAL QUEEN RECEIVES RUBY CRUM AWARD

 

Lauren Gall, 2008 Bond County Fair Queen, competed this past weekend in the Miss Illinois County Fair Pageant at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Springfield.  Lauren received the Ruby Crum Memorial Award for charm and enthusiasm.  Congratulations Lauren.

 




OBITUARIES

None to Report


 

Do you subscribe to the WGEL Daily? If not sign up now for free daily News!

- WGEL Daily Sign Up -
Email
First Name
Last Name

Wgel.com | Community Calendar | Daily Archive