GREENVILLE CITY COUNCIL MEETS FOR AUGUST
A huge crowd of concerned Greenville citizens showed up for the Tuesday night Greenville City Council Meeting with one thing on their minds, the proposed city-wide curb-side recycling plan. Greenville had its own version of a town hall meeting but unlike some recent town hall meetings on national issues, the Greenville version could be described as polite. They heard a presentation by Dave Doty of Doty Sanitation. His plan would be to furnish every one of his customers with a 64-gallon tote for recyclable material that would be picked up weekly. Each customer would be charged $4.25 a month for the service. Public comments at the meeting ranged from opposition to the plan to total support for curb-side recycling. The council's intent was only to get input on the recycling plan. In other action, the council passed an engineering agreement for work on the roadway that will tie Route 127 to the Buchheit store parking lot. That work will cost approximately 700 thousand dollars, which the state of Illinois has earmarked from its recently passed capital bill.
The council issued a special event liquor license to Our Common Ground for a wine tasting event on the downtown square for September 25. The council also granted liquor licenses to CVS and Love's Travel Center. They also voted to increase sewer surcharge rates to local industries by 25 percent, based upon the amount and concentration of individual industry sewage.
At the meeting, MotoMart executives showed off their plans for a new MotoMart that will be build at their present location. The old MotorMart at Harris and Third Street will close September 8 and weather permitting the new bigger facility will open the end of November. The company had originally planned to stay open selling only gasoline during the construction but decided they could finish the work quicker if they closed operations until the new store was built.
FIRE IN BEDROOM AT MOBILE HOME IN MULBERRY GROVE
Mulberry Grove and Keyesport Firemen were dispatched Tuesday evening at 5:10, to a fire in a mobile home on North Wood Street in Mulberry Grove. According to Fire Chief Dwight Volkmar, the fire was in a central bedroom in the mobile home owned by Carol Micnhimer. The cause of the fire was electrical overload due to use of a single-room air conditioner. The bedroom was gutted and there was smoke damage throughout the mobile home. Damage is estimated at $10,000. The residents were home but there were no injuries. Firemen were on the scene for a little over an hour.