ATV ACCIDENT INJURES TWO YOUNG BOYS
Two young boys were injured this past weekend when the ATV they were driving struck a pick-up truck. According to a press release from the Madison County Sheriff’s Department, Saturday around 1:30 p.m., a woman driving a 2001 Ford pick-up truck was westbound on Pocahontas Road when she observed two young boys on an ATV stopped in a driveway. When she approached, the young driver of the ATV suddenly entered the roadway and struck the side of the truck. The ATV driver is six years old and the passenger five years old. They were taken to an area hospital for treatment of minor injuries. The boy’s mother and grandmother were present when the accident occurred with the grandmother trying to signal the boys not to cross the road. Marine Firefighters also responded to the scene. The Madison County Sheriff’s Department encourages parents to use caution when allowing their children to operate an ATV.
PIE AUCTION COMPLETES IT’S SECOND DAY
The second day of the Great Celebrity Pie Auction is the pan and the 2 day total is over $6,100, a huge thank you to all the bidders and bakers. Wednesday wraps up the 2010 Pie Auction to benefit the Bond County Relay for Life. Wednesday morning’s line up includes Sherriff Jeff Brown at 6:30, Tom Whalen at 7AM, Alan Spainhour from Dairy Queen at 7:30, American Farm Heritage Museum’s Ollie Schaefer at 8AM, Comets Track Coach and Junior Comets’ Tom Broomfield at 8:30, and new GHS Principal Wendy Porter at 9AM.
LOCAL FIRE DEPARTMENTS VERY BUSY LAST 24 HOURS
Mulberry Grove Firefighters are currently on the scene of a semi-truck trailer fire on Carmen Drive, the alley behind Carmen’s Market in Mulberry Grove. According to Fire Chief Dwight Volkmar, the fire started in the trailer.
Greenville Firefighters were dispatched at 9:18 p.m. Monday to a report of a car fire on 8th Avenue, south of Greenville. Firefighters extinguished the fire. The car is estimated to be a total loss. Firemen were on the scene for about an hour and a half.
Pocahontas-Old Ripley Firefighters were dispatched at 2:08 p.m. Monday to a report of a propane leak at a residence on Meffert Avenue, north of Pocahontas.