05-04-2012

 




GREENVILLE HIGH SCHOOL PROM SATURDAY

The Greenville High School Prom is Saturday, May 5 in the high school gym.  The prom is from 8:00 – 11:00 p.m. and the theme is “A Black Tie Affair.”  The coronation is scheduled for 10:00 p.m.  Prom queen candidates are Shelby Barber, Cayla Bollinger, Kelley Faulkner, Carley Hall, Adrianna Kuhl, Katie Pollman, Elle Shaw, and Alex Willey.  Prom king candidates are Dylan Bone, Kort Branscom, Dylan Carr, Alex Childerson, Kevin Foley, Adam Kalous, Teddy Langham, and Michael Schlemper.  You are invited to watch students arrive at the prom at the north gym entrance.

lkiu

APRIL 2012 RAINFALL IN GREENVILLE ABOUT AVERAGE

April rainfall in Greenville this year was about average at 4.08 inches.  When compared with records from the past 45 years, there are 25 years with less rain and 20 years with more with the average over those 45 years at 4.4 inches.  The most April rain fell in 1994 when Greenville got 12.02 inches.  The least rain was in April 1971 at just seven tenths of an inch.  We also got 10 inches of snow in April 1971, the most April snow in the past 45 years.


FOOD PANTRY NEEDS VOLUNTEERS

The Bond County Food Pantry is in need of volunteers.  Joyce Cotton said recently, the federal government cutbacks hit Bond County.  A grant was cut and the lady who had been helping run the food pantry needed to find other employment.   They need more volunteers to help run the food pantry.  Many people volunteer through their church, however any individual who is willing to lend a hand is welcome.  Volunteers are needed primarily on Mondays and Tuesdays, however any help is greatly appreciated.  For more information or to volunteer, call Anna Oestreich at the Bond County Senior Center at 664-1465.

CAR SHOW ADOPTS “GREENVILLE GRAFFITI” THEME

The “Greenville Graffiti Car Show” is Saturday, June 16.  All activities will be on Second Street near the downtown square.  Bo Hopkins and Candy Clark, two of the stars of the 1973 movie “American Graffiti,” will sign autographs at the car show and participate in a special question and answer session prior to a showing of the movie, at 4:00 p.m., at the Globe Theatre.  The show is open to cars and trucks from 1985 and older.  Registration is from 9:00 a.m. – noon with awards presented at 3:00 p.m.  For more information, call the Greenville Chamber of Commerce at 664-9272.


UNEMPLOYMENT RATE FALLS IN EVERY ILLINOIS METRO AREA

According to the Illinois Department of Employment Security, the March unemployment rate fell in every metro area compared to one year ago.  This is the first month since May 2011 in which the rate fell in every metro area.  In the Illinois Section of the St. Louis Metropolitan Statistical Area, the rate dropped from 9.7 percent a year ago to 9.5 percent in March 2012.  Over the same time period, the Bond County rate fell from 10.2 to 9.2 percent, Clinton County 8.4 – 8.0%, and St. Clair County 10.2 – 9.8%.  The rate in Madison County increased slightly from 9.3 – 9.4 percent.

nacob


OBITUARIES

Thomas R. Dasenbrock

Thomas R. Dasenbrock, age 84, of Jamestown, passed away Thursday, May 3 at Aviston Countryside Manor.  Funeral arrangements for Thomas R. Dasenbrock are incomplete at the Spengel-Boulanger Funeral Home in Highland.


WEATHER

SATURDAY - 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms, high 88, low 68

SUNDAY - 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms, high 88, low 66, 70% chance of showers Sunday night


PUBLIC AFFAIRS

Tune into Public Affairs this Sunday following the Noon Bond County Area News on WGEL Radio.  Michelle’s guest this week is Madison County State’s Attorney Thomas Gibbons.  They will talk about the national Lock Your Meds and Take Back Your Meds programs, the dangers of keeping your prescription medications out in the open, and how you may ensure your medications do not get into the wrong hands.  That’s Public Affairs this Sunday following the Noon Bond County Area News here at WGEL.


Wgel.com | Community Calendar | Daily Archive