08-16-2012

btb

GOOD NEWS FOR GREENVILLE CITY WATER LINE BID

The Greenville City Council met Tuesday. Mayor Alan Gaffner explained how the new consent agenda may shorten meetings because it allows several items to be voted upon in one action.
The proposal for a traffic study and design of the access to Buchheit, off Route 127, as required by IDOT, was discussed and approved.
Scheffel Companies presented the April 30, 2012 audit report. The city got a good report with no reservations. They felt the city made good progress in improving its reserves, although they are still below 2008 levels, and have held down expenses.
The bid for the Harris Avenue Water Line Project came in under the expected cost. The council approved the project and was pleased with the savings of approximately $ 146,000.00.
A Class G Special Event Liquor License was approved for the September Art Walk.
Greenville Library Board Member Marie Reezes is retiring August 31.  Mayor Gaffner requested Jim Butts be appointed to fill the position and the appointment was approved.
Mayor Gaffner said Sergeant Tony Brooks, of the Greenville Police Department, will be retiring August 31. Sergeant Brooks has served our city for 20 years.
City Manager Dave Willey suggested a USDA loan be researched for installing sewers in the part of Greenville without sewers. He said loans are now available at 2.18%. The council requested he look into the matter and report at the next meeting.


BOND COUNTY BOARD CALLS SPECIAL MEETING FRIDAY

The Bond County Board called a special meeting for Friday, August 17, at 11:00 a.m., at the courthouse.  The agenda is filled with four possible referendums that could appear on the November ballot.  The first is an advisory concealed carry referendum, second is a coal option referendum, third would have the supervisor of assessments be an elected instead of appointed official, and the fourth would be an electricity aggregation referendum.  It is possible these referendums could be voted on in November.   

 

sdc


ILLINOIS STATE FAIR SALE OF CHAMPIONS SHATTERS FIVE RECORDS

The Illinois State Fair Sale of Champions was Tuesday and the event raised $159,210 for junior producers and 4-H and FFA youth education programs.  The largest bid was $52,000.00 for the grand champion steer, $800.00 more than the former record bid.  Other new record bids included $3,000.00 for the Land of Lincoln supreme champion female print, $17,200.00 for the grand champion wether, $11,000.00 for the Land of Lincoln grand champion barrow, and $24,500.00 for the grand champion barrow.  The junior producers received 80 percent of the sales price and the 4-H and FFA programs split the remaining 20 percent equally.


BOND COUNTY TOTAL ASSESSED VALUE MORE THAN 192 MILLION DOLLARS

According to Bond County Clerk Randy Reitz, the total assessed value of property in Bond County is $192,296,126.00.


SOUTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS LAW DOGS COLLECTING DONATIONS

The South Central Illinois Law Dogs will be collecting donations at the corner of Third Street and Harris Avenue Saturday, August 18, from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.  Proceeds will go to the Bond County Senior Center.

cc

OBITUARIES

Roger L. Koch   

Roger L. Koch, age 67, of Edwardsville, passed away Tuesday, August 14 at his residence.  Funeral services will be Saturday, at 10:00 a.m. at Zion Lutheran Church in Carpenter, IL.  Burial will be in Zion Lutheran Cemetery.  Friends may call Friday, from 4:00 - 8:00 p.m. at the Dauderman Mortuary in Hamel and Saturday, from 9:00 a.m. until service time at the church.  Memorials are suggested to Siteman Cancer Center, the American Diabetes Association, or to Zion Lutheran Church.

 


All stories in the WGEL Daily are copyright protected and are NOT for use without the permission of WGEL Radio.

Do you subscribe to the WGEL Daily? If not sign up now for free daily News!

For Email Marketing you can trust

Wgel.com | Community Calendar | Daily Archive