03-08-2013

 




DOCTOR OLIVER W. STOWE REMEMBERED

Local veterinarian Dr. Oliver W. Stowe, who served many years as the Bond County Rabies Officer, recently passed away at the age of 87.  Greenville Animal Control Officer Matt Willman said he started working with Dr. Stowe approximately 6-8 years ago.  He always had a great love for the animals and people with whom he worked and assumed the Bond County Rabies Officer position in 1978.  Matt said Dr. Stowe was a great supervisor.  Although he began to slow down the past few years, Dr. Stowe continued to practice and perform surgery until this past winter.  Matt said Dr. Stowe was an important part of the community and he will be missed.


DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME BEGINS THIS WEEKEND

Sunday, March 10, we will "spring forward" one hour due to the start of daylight saving time.  Although we may lose an hour of sleep, we will gain an hour of sunlight.  Most digital clocks and devices are automatically programmed to adjust the change for you.  If you are unsure if you need to manually change your clocks, check your user's manual. It is also recommended you change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when the time changes.  

DATE

GREENVILLE HIGH SCHOOL SCHOLASTIC BOWL TEAM WINS REGIONALS

The Greenville Comets Scholastic Bowl team recently competed at the IHSA Regional Competition. Coach Jay Winter said this was the first time they won a Class 2A Regional.  They have won a Class 1A Regional in the past.  The IHSA reclassified Greenville as 2A school, which means they will compete against larger schools such as O’Fallon.  They will compete in the Sectional competition, Saturday, March 9, at 10:00 a.m., at Greenville High School. You are welcome to attend to cheer on the kids. Carbondale, Collinsville, and Mt. Vernon high school students will also be competing.  For more information about the Sectional competition, call the high school at 664-1370.


SCHAUFELBERGER ADVANCES TO THREE POINT FINALS

Greenville High School Sophomore Will Schaufelberger hit 10 three pointers last night at the Carver Arena in Peoria and earned a spot in the three point finals tonight.  Four basketball players advanced to the finals tonight at 8:15 at the Carver Arena.  Schaufelberger was one of only three players to make ten three pointers in the preliminary round Thursday.  Seven other shooters made 9 shots and had to compete in a playoff for the fourth spot in the finals.  Good luck to Will Schaufelberger as he competes in the state finals of the three point contest tonight at 8:15 in Peoria.     


MCCARTER REACTS TO QUINN’S BUDGET ADDRESS

Governor Pat Quinn gave his Budget Address Wednesday in Springfield.  State Senator Kyle McCarter said Quinn suggested the state spend $500 million more than the projected income.  According to McCarter, since Quinn took office, Springfield has spent more and more money, while past due bills have doubled.  McCarter said Illinois has a spending problem, not a revenue problem and we need to control our spending.  Many of the cuts Governor Quinn proposed hurt us downstate, specifically in regards to education. 


fgf

SPRING FLING AT GREENVILLE VFW

The Greenville VFW Spring Fling is Saturday, March 9, at the VFW Hall on South 4th Street.  Doors open at 5:30 p.m. with dinner at 6:30, an auction at 7:30, and music by DJ Brad to follow.  100 advance tickets are available for $20.00 each and tickets at the door will be $25.00.  Proceeds benefit the Greenville VFW.  For more information or to order advance tickets, call Cathy at 410-7494.  Advance tickets are also available at the VFW bar.

SPOT



OBITUARIES

Marcella “Sally” Bonetto

Marcella “Sally” Bonetto, age 97, of Panama, passed away Wednesday, March 7, at Hillsboro area Hospital.  Funeral services will be Sunday, at 2:00 p.m., at the Perfetti Funeral Home in Panama.  Burial will be in Sunnyside Cemetery in Sorento.  Friends may call Sunday, from 1:00 p.m. until service time at the funeral home.

Ruth E. Langel

Ruth E. Langel, age 84, of Greenville, passed away Wednesday, March 6.  Funeral arrangements are incomplete at the Donnell-Wiegand Funeral Home.


WEATHER

SATURDAY - partly sunny, high 58, 80% chance of rain Saturday night, low 51

SUNDAY - 60% chance of showers, high 58, 40% chance of rain and snow Sunday night, low 31


PUBLIC AFFAIRS

Tune into Public Affairs this Sunday following the Noon Bond County Area News on WGEL Radio.  Michelle’s guests this week are Athletic Trainers Stacey Turner and Mike Peppler.  They will talk about what it means to be a Certified Athletic Trainer, the training needed, and some of the many exciting careers athletic trainers may pursue.  That’s Public Affairs this Sunday following the Noon Bond County Area News here at WGEL.


All stories in the WGEL Daily are copyright protected and are NOT for use without the permission of WGEL Radio.


Wgel.com | Community Calendar | Daily Archive